christmas

Friday, February 18, 2011

Lessons to be learned

Once again the sun is shining this morning!  I need a little sunshine to fill my soul today.  (Oh, I think someone should write a song about that!)

I have a lot of things I need to get done this morning and I am feeling a little unfocused.  Sometimes I wish life could be simple.  But then how would we grow?  I need to learn to ask the right questions...what am I suppose to learn from this experience? 

Right now I am struggling with my kids (especially the oldest daughter).  Emma is making a decision that will effect her future.  (I guess every choice we make effects our futures)  But this is a big one.  I am tired of fighting and arguing with her about school.  She wants to get her GED instead of finish high school.  Scott and I have decided to let her pursue this route in her life.  I second guess myself every day.  But I know Emma has lessons to learn from choosing this path.  Although I think it is the more difficult path to take (she thinks it is the easier one, but in the long run it really isn't)  but when it is all said and done ultimately Emma has to live and learn from her choices.

How can I help my kids grow without taking their agency away?  As a parent when do you let your kids make mistakes that you know they will come to regret?  Our Heavenly Father lets us make mistakes all the time without interfering.  How hard it must be for Him?  He sends the Holy Ghost to try to influence us, but how many times do we ignore those feelings and promptings when He is trying to communicate with us?  I feel like I am the Holy Ghost trying to talk to Emma and she is just choosing to not listen and do what she wants anyways.  How frustrating!

I love Emma and am and always will be proud of her.  She is a great daughter and a loving, kind, and compassionate person.  I want what is best for her.  I think she needs to learn from her own choices so I am allowing her to choose.  I know she will learn valuable lessons from this experience, it may take some time to learn the lesson but she will.

I am grateful for my Heavenly Father.  He is mindful of each one of us.  He feels pain and sorrow when we feel pain and sorrow and  He feels joy when we grow and become more like our Savior.

No comments: