Did you all miss my daily blog?? I really missed writing one. Each night as I would lay my very tired head to sleep I would feel weird that I wasn't sending out a blog to all my family and friends.
I am going to give you all a boring re-cap of my week.
Monday- First day of camp. I am clean and even smell good. It is very hard work setting up camp and getting all the girls registered. All but one of my 17 twelve year olds seem to be doing well (only one had seiver homesickness and that is pretty good considering it is all their first year at camp). I even took a shower this evening. Some of you reading this will understand how horrible it is to take a shower in a place where 100 other women and girls have been using the same showers. Yuck!
Tuesday- Certification day! Today was sooo hot and humid. The girls are starting to get to know each other. We have been grouped together as levels this year instead of wards. I think I like it better this way. It give the girls a chance to get to know one another in the stake and build relationships outside of their wards. We move from one activity to another and do a service project. The girls don't have time to sit and just rest they are very hot and tired! The end of the day brought another shower that was much needed. One great thing about camp this year is there are no misquetos!!!!!!! But we have bat houses that come alive around 8:30pm each night. Would I rather have misquetos or bats??? I think BATs.
Wednesday- Finally...FREE TIME with the girls. We have a beach near by that we take turns driving girls over to just play. Elle drives over with another leader and on the one mile ride home the leader gives into peer preasure of the girls (I am sure it was Elle) crying to her to go faster and jam the music loud....the leader's car slips on the gravel road and crashes into a ditch narrowly missing a tree on Elle's front passanger side. Elle comes running into camp yelling "Mom, it was so fun!! I almost just died!" I didn't find out until today that Elle had been giving the leader preasure to "Go faster, go faster!" and the new leader (a twenty four year old caved in...I can't blame her I know what it is like to have Elle begging me to do something!) Everyone was just fine (except the leader! She was pretty upset with herself) This day is beautiful. The weather is cool and breezy. Camp food is great. I am so happy I don't have to cook for my ward this is such a wonderful experience. No shower tonight. I stink.
Thursday- Last full day of camp. Elle wakes up feeling sick. I let her stay back in camp and sleep for 4 more hours while I go with the other girls on a hike (that is the perk of having your mom go to camp and be in charge of the first years). The hike was difficult, it was a steep and narrow trail we followed. On most of the hike we had to hike single file. I had about 4 complainers the whole time but it wasn't to hard to movtivate them. There is always a small group of girls that think they are going to die on the hike each year and are very vocal about it. We had our testimony fireside this night. I think it is a good learning experience for the girls to do this but OH MY GOSH have you ever heard 75 girls bear their tesitmonies about camp and how "great" their new friends are? It can be very interesting! No shower tonight. I really, really, really, am dirty and smelly. (deoderant is a very good thing to bring to camp.)
Friday- I am so glad to go home! Camp has been an exceptional experience. I am sitting on my bed right now after taking a 45 minute shower and having a 2 hour nap. It was heaven.
Now for my only bad experience(maybe I will find out in a couple of days if it was a bad experience)....read a portion of the letter below and I will blog this weekend and let you all know if I got the dreaded bug!! I did know about this problem at camp but there was nothing to do about it but wait it out and see if anyone became ill. So far so good.
The camp water is supplied by a private well. Just prior to our visit, the well had received a chlorination treatment, however it had not been tested and approved for consumption. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication about using the water. An employee told us that the water had been treated, and we could use it. We were told later in the week that was not correct; that although the water was safe to shower and wash hands in, it was not approved for drinking until the test results came back.
As soon as this error was discovered, we hauled in purified water for consumption. In the mean time, many of the young women and leaders consumed the well water. The results from the lab Thursday showed passing purification levels at some faucets, and failing total coliform levels at others. It is impossible to know which youth consumed non-potable water and how much, but probably everyone consumed some.
I am grateful for this safe, fun week I had with Elle. We had a good time and I am grateful for the memories we will have. Now wish me luck I or Elle don't get sick and 100 other girls from out stake!
P.S. Emma is doing fine enjoying her trip to Europe! She has my camera and so I will be pictureless for the next 3 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment