christmas

Saturday, June 18, 2011

What a Week!

We got home late last night and I was so tired.  After the dogs attacked us I crawled into bed and fell asleep.

The last week was fun filled and tiring.  I have decided that it was such a great experience going outside the USA and experiencing something totally different but the sun and heat did me in. 

Saturday:  The first day we got there around 3 in the afternoon, we just relaxed, went out to dinner, it was excellent, I ordered grouper stuffed with shrimp and lobster).

Sunday:  The second day we laid out in the sun basically without any sunscreen.  (The sunscreen I brought from home we lathered on but it was expired and of no use).   Needless to say Scott and I burned.  Scott burned a lot.  But we enjoyed going out to dinner that night as we traveled into down town Cancun and I ate a Mexican shrimp dinner that was sooooo GOOD!

Monday:  The third day we went on a tour to the Mayan Runes.  This was the best day of the whole vacation.  It was so interesting and educational.   We had the most interesting tour guide who told me that when he his son-in-law ask him permission to marry his daughter he took him out to an empty field and shot his own two dogs.  He told his soon to be son-in-law that he didn't have a problem shooting him either if he ever did anything to his daughter that displeased him!  Needless to say he told us he has the best son-in-law EVER!  Hymie was our tour guides name and he was a character!!  We sat up front next to him on the van and so he talked mine and Scott's ear off the whole 2 hours to the runes and then again the entire 2 hours home!  We were very entertained :)  That night I can't remember what we ate but I know it was very good because every meal I ate in Cancun was good.

Tuesday:  The fourth day Scott and I slept in till about noon and then just got up and hung around the condo.  We were feeling much to sore from our burns to be out in the sun.  So we had a great day lounging around on the cool deck of our condo with the best view of the ocean and all those who were cooking themselves out in the sun.  We read, slept, and just chilled all day long.  That night we ventured to the down town area again looking for a place to eat.  We were told by a guy to go to a certain restaurant and we would find great food at great prices.  This was the most disappointing of all restaurants during our whole trip.  He feed us full of crap because it was not the best and the prices were very high.  That night I ate shrimp fajitas.

Wednesday:  The fifth day we hung out on the beach but mostly around the condo again and just piddled around that day.  We went to the movie that night and then ate at a restaurant that we found by the movie theater that was good.  Again I don't remember what we ordered but it was pretty good. 

Thursday:  The sixth day we enjoyed the beach and just relaxing.  By Tuesday we figured out what happened to our sun screen and had bought some that actually worked.  Our sun burns were still tender but we were venturing out on the beach a little more.  That night we had THE MOST EXCELLENT  MEAL OF THE WHOLE WEEK.  We took the bus into town and found this little dive looking place that Kevin had looked up on line.  It was well worth the 30 minute bus trip.  I ordered a steak it came with tortilla shells, guacamole and pico (it was just like a fajita almost).  The steak was so tender and flavorful it just melted in my mouth and on top of that it was cheap!! 

Friday:  The seventh and final day.  We rented wave runners and ventured out into the open ocean.  Scott and I rode together and Valeri and Kevin were together.  Scott was not very adapt to the wave runner and was having a difficult time getting the hang of it.  Within the first 3 minutes he had dumped us right into the ocean.  Oh my gosh!!  I thought a shark was going to get me.  I hate the feeling of not having a bottom below me (being able to touch the bottom with my feet).  I climbed back on and we started all over again.  Once Scott was able to feel more confident on it we were zooming around but it took a while.  Later that day Valeri and I got deep massages outside on the balcony of the hotel (Ann yours are so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), it was somewhat enjoyable but like I mentioned to Ann I have had better.  Still it was nice to relax and have someone massage your sunburned back and worry about the towel blowing off for everyone around me to enjoy the frontal view of my white body.  (I am kidding)  Actually now that it is over I am not sure how I feel about my massage.  Seriously it was not the most enjoyable because I couldn't relax totally because of my sunburn and the wind was blowing all around.  That night we went out to a very nice restaurant.  I enjoyed lobster!!  It was very good.  I also ate a key lime pie that was scrumptious.  The most interesting part of the night was the crocodiles that swam around right next to the restaurant (and me) as we ate outside next to the lagoon.  I had no idea that there were crocs in the area until the waiter told us that there were thousands of them that lived on that bay side of the island.  It gave me chills just thinking about it.

Saturday:  The eighth and last day.  Really it was not a day of vacation at all because we got up early and left for our flight home at 8:00 am.  our plane ride was uneventful and we had a layover in Atlanta GA.  We got home late last night and like I mentioned earlier we just fell into bed and called it a day.

I will always remember my first time out of the country.  It was a wonderful experience with great friends and an adventure I will cherish.  I hope I have many more experiences to look forward to!

I am grateful for my girls who I missed dearly.  They called and text me tons :)  I think they missed their mom lots!

No comments: