christmas

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Great Day

I finally pushed my way through my 2-3 weeks worth of unopened mail!  I thought it would take me half an hour and I was way off the mark.  After 2 and a half hours of opening and throwing out most of it I am so happy to report to all that no one needs to come over tonight and shoot me.  I will live another day to tell another tale. 

I had the best day.  Besides the fact that I did something that I was dreading and putting off way to long, I also went and taught with the sister missionaries.  The funniest thing happened to me.  I say it is funny but if I wasn't the sort of person that just laughs at everything I think I would be questioning my likability.  So we went to see a sister in the ward who has become inactive.  She hasn't attended church for a year or so. I have had much experience with her, helping her in many ways over the last 3 years, needless to say she knows me very well.  Last week when I went to see her she cracked her door about two inches and then told me she couldn't visit with me that she needed to rest and I would need to come back (but then she asked me take her garbage out to the dump that she had sitting next to her door as she turned me away, I got a chuckle out of that.)  I asked her very nicely when I could come back and she told me Tuesday (which is today) as I happily took her garbage out to the dump, I told her I would see her then. 

Today when I showed up I knocked and I could hear her moving around in her apt. she finally asked through the closed door, "who is it?".  I answered "it is Sister Greer, remember you ask me to visit you today?"  Then the funniest thing...she didn't reply or say anything, she just ignored me.  I knocked a couple more times but she  pretended that no one was at the door.  Now I don't know what kind of message this would send you but I think she didn't want to talk to me.  I just laughed because how can you ignore someone that you just asked who was there?  Crazy people....

My next appointment with the missionaries was a great visit with a man who just became a new member.  He is one of the most amazing men I have ever met.  He is from Uganda and lived in a refugee camp for 6 years before coming to America.  He was in charge of feeding and housing 150 people each week (and many times he would have to arrange the burial of  many people who didn't have the strength to live through the  week).  This incredible man has a powerful testimony of Christ and the restored gospel.  It is always uplifting to spend time in his presence.  I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to be around such wonderful people.

I am grateful for my warm boots. (We did some tracking in the 12 degree weather..brr)

No comments: