christmas

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

And...what is your job?

goofballs Jackson and Alex ejoying some coookies.
beautiful frost on my bush this morning.


Well the cat is out of the bag...I admit I am a stay at home mom. Why do I even have to admit it?? I was asked that question yesterday when I was at a meeting selling raffle tickets for Emma's trip. When the lady who was sitting by me in a group of 5 asked me what I did and when I replied back that I was a stay at home mom she didn't know what to say. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable for about 1.2 seconds and then I realized that I didn't care what this woman felt about my career choice because what is important is how I feel about my career choice. Yes it is a choice for me (I understand some don't have a choice). I won't worry about society and what they think about a woman who wants to stay home and make cookies for her kids and the whole neighborhood or give rides to 4 kids who need to be at 10 different places during the day or make a dinner that nobody will eat or help with homework or if I am incapable of helping with homework hire a tutor that will be able to help her 10th grader pass chemistry or wash cups for the umpteenth time in a week or care for sick children even when I am myself sick or be a professional fundraiser or professional party planner or a psychologist when my kids are suicidal or just had their heart broke or teach my kids to be loving and caring and show compassion to others because it is the right thing to do or be a hairdresser every morning for my 6th grader or teach my girls how to apply makeup or babysit for dear friends of mine or clean my kitchen floor because everyone has tracked mud in the house again or be a Girl Scout and Boy Scout leader for a total of 4 years or class mom or volunteer endless amounts of time on school councils and committees because you want your kids to have a good education or home school them because they aren't getting a good education or be a nurse when they wipe out on on their bike and you have to hold them down to pour hydrogen peroxide over the million little rocks stuck in their knee so it won't become infected or let them cry on your shoulder while you tell them you are moving to another state and they will have to start all over again in making best friends knowing that the ones they leave behind are priceless or pack a boyscout back pack for the first time wondering if your son will survive being away from you for a night out in the woods or helping to find homework that you saw being completed the night before but has mysteriously disappeared in the morning or getting up at 5am to drive your 14 year old to early morning seminary for his freshman and sophomore years of school or watching your child loss his sight in his eyes because he will not wear contacts to help correct the problem or just be there for your family because they need you!
I love being a stay at home mom, I would not trade anything in the world for the experiences I have had being a stay at home mom. This job has stretched me beyond what I thought I was capable of and I am a better person for it.
I am grateful to be a mom.

3 comments:

Krystine said...

I know already Tanner that you will be mortified at my grammar but I hope you have come to accept all of your mom's faults...I am not perfect! I love you!

Al said...

That was like the longest sentence in the history of English. You could have put a period in there somewhere so I could have paused to take a breath!!

Loved it anyway! I too consider it an honor to be a stay at home mom (the perks aren't too bad either).

love ya sis.

T. Greer said...

It was indeed a long sentence. It seems my Mother has a lot packed into this idea of "motherhood". :)

You have done a pretty good job of it, I think.